e2fsprogs require "--force" under hamm?

I have used a fresh bo upgraded to hamm per instructions in
libc5-to-libc6 for 8 months.
After following those instructions, I felt free to use dpkg,
but avoided use of dselect (even though I have used dselect perhaps
40 times over the last two years).
Now, 8 months later, I decide to use dselect.
All generally works well except for installing the package e2fsprogs,
a required package in the hamm base packages.

I get conflicts with the package e2fslibsg and especially with the package
e2fsprogsg, two formerly essential packages.
But "dpkg --purge" of e2fslibsg/e2fsprogsg fails, and dselect purging or
removal
also fails.
Whether with the dpkg or the dselect, I get pretty much the same response.
Here is dselect's response to installing e2fsprogs with e2fslibsg/e2fsprogsg
set
for purge:

dpkg: considering removing e2fslibsg in favour of e2fsprogs ...
dpkg: yes, will remove e2fslibsg in favour of e2fsprogs.
dpkg: regarding .../base/e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb containing e2fsprogs:
 e2fsprogsg conflicts with e2fsprogs
  e2fsprogs (version 1.10-17) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing \ /mirror/mirrors/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/b
ase/e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing e2fsprogs
      .
      .
      .
Errors were encountered while processing: /mirror/mirrors/debian/dists/stable/m
ain/binary-i386/base/e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb
installation script returned error exit status 1.
Press RETURN to continue.

The only solution I can see is one mentioned sometime ago in the debian-user
list:
  dpkg --force-conflicts  .../hamm/binary-i386/base/e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb

But "--force" is dangerous.
I would rather avoid it.
Having used "--force" in the past, I have a question about it.
Does a "--force" have its effect only on the currect version
e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb, or does this effect carry forward to future installs
of e2fsprogs; eg, perhaps version e2fsprogs_1.12-4.deb .

Does anyone see anyway I can install e2fsprogs without using "--force"?

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb