Re: Why?!

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 09:55:16PM +0000, Charles Collicutt wrote:
>    Could someone tell me why I'm using linux not Windows 95? I've been

One brief answer: when was the last time your Linux crashed?

Actually I can answer that: I had two crashes a couple of weeks ago, because
it was 41 degrees Celcius here and my hard drives were overheating. Once
I rearranged them in the case, it was good as gold.

> Windows
> -------
> *) Complete ease of use - a GUI even an utter luser can understand.

There are some GUIs for Unix just like that. I use the CDE at work
and it's pretty easy to use.

> *) Piss easy installations.

Assuming it finds all your hardware.

> *) GAMES - is there a single good game on linux apart from ports of Quake?
> *) Oh look, is that *another* cover cd with free demos and software? Guess
> I won't be spending ages downloading like I would with linux then...

Hmmm. Buy a better magazine, here in AU, "Australian Personal Computer"
has Linux archives on their cover CDs too.

Here's the stats from a remote server of mine. It doesn't do much, but it's
very stable. It's only a 486-133 with 32mb RAM too.

[12:38am] hamish@yodeller:~> uptime
 12:38am  up 194 days,  5:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00

It was down 194 days ago to install a new modem. Before that it was up for
3 months after a crash due to hard disk failure, and was up quite a few
months before that. It's located at my ISP and I can't get immediate
access to it if it goes down -- but it doesn't.

Hamish