RE: netscape install

On 18-Dec-98 Tom Ahola wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've recently switched to Debian from slackware.
> Tons of problems appear.  But I'm not giving it up yet.
>
> I'm trying to install netscape 4.5 (non-debian package
> with manual install).  When I try to run netscape
> it complains Cannot load libXt.so.6.  The library is
> correctly installed beacuse other programs can use it.
> Same problem with netscape 4.05.  Does this need
> the xcompat package?  But the xcompat package is missing!

Sounds like you grabbed the libc5 version.  do: ldd netscape in the directory
where netscape lives.  If it shows a libc5, go back and get the glibc2 version.

> how I can put a
> tiled color xpm as the root image in X when the great XV
> package is not included in Debian....

Xv lives in non-free because it is NOT open software.  If you use it you are
supposed to pay for it.  There are many better apps than xv.  if you want xv
look in the non-free section on an ftp mirror of Debian.  apt and/or dselect
will help here.