Re: WP 8 problem

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Dave Swegen wrote:
>
> > What do you mean useless? If you want a fully functional word processor with
> > all the extra bells and whistles go download bloaty-hog staroffice. I find it
> > rather amazing that people complain about something they paid nothing for.
> > Granted they might have made it clearer that those functions are only
> > available in the paid-for version. So don't be so bloody ungrateful and cheap
> > - go and buy the full version (which doesn't cost an extortionate amount of
> >   money) if you want those features. "Useless" my arse...
>

> Agreed. WP8 is MUCH faster than StarOffice and does not seem to be as much
> a resource hog. Some functions are disabled, but not the ones I use. I
> can't wait for the rest of the Corel suite to show up. Now that there is
> some competition in the Linux market, maybe we will get better
> performance in future versions.

I've been using WP7 for several months and it runs quite nicely.  So far I
haven't found anything new with WP8.  I'd like to have some of the other
apps from the WP Suite, like QuattroPro.  I guess that will be late next
year, unless they wait for WP2000, the next version.  Hopefully Corel will
include a database someday as well, to better compete with M$ Office.

Strangely enough, the problem I was having:

>An unrecoverable X Window server error has occurred.
>
> Your WordPerfect documents have been backed up in your backup directory.
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
> denied)
>
> Major Opcode of failed request: 28 (X_GrabButton)
> Serial number of failed request: 2296
> Current serial number in output stream: 2297

seems to be related to WindowManager.  If I run X as root or another user,
or use twm, I don't get this error.  Even removing all my X config files
from my home directory didn't help.  Strange!  Does anyone know what might
make a call to X_GrabButton?

Bob

----