Re: [X]Emacs vs. vi[m] (was Re: Why is XEmacs better than Emacs?)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Chris Frost wrote:

>What are people's reasons for using [x]emacs over vim or vim over
>[x]emacs? I currently am using vim, and love it, but would like to hear
>from both sides.

This isn't as complete an answer as some other posts I've seen, just my
$0.02.

I am teaching myself Lisp/Scheme now, and, I think (X)Emacs support for
that is tons better than vi's: I love the balanced parenthesis insertion,
deleting, moving by sexps, matching paren highlighting under X, etc. Maybe
there's a way to do those same things in vim, anyone? (I love vi(m) for
not having to break my fingers to type commands; I tried VIPer -- not very
successfully).

Another big feature I can't think of a way to implement under vim is the
(X)Emacs "inferior processes", such as inferior shell, inferior lisp
process, etc.  -- especially inferior lisp.  I don't have a very large
monitor, and having things in same window speeds up the inevitable
write-try-rewrite cycle.  (maybe vim + screen?).

But vi(m) is great when you don't have Emacs running (and thus can't use
gnuclient), and just want to quickly edit a file.

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu
Expert systems are built to embody the knowledge of human experts.  - Kulawiec