Pine license and other GPL rants (Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?)

Oh boy, another flame war...

George Bonser wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
>
> > Please check out the mail list archives on pine.  The pine people will
> > not allow binaries of pine distributed with bugs fixed unless they
> > officially approve.  To approve officially means a lengthy process.
> > They are their own license PITA.
>
> I do not think you can say that since Debian never attempted to get their
> binary appproved. It is ok enough for Red Hat and Caldera and other
> distros. Last I checked they had packages. It is an arrogance thing ... it
> is a "screw ease of use, it does not fit our political agenda"
> thing.

Are you advocating that we _not_ follow pine's license and
distribute modified binaries anyway?  Thus breaking the law?

If you have a problem with pine's license, you should bring it up
with them.  Debian is just following it.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada