Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?

hamish harumphed,

> Say what? I started on Slackware; Debian's installation is 10000% better than
> that.

> > Redhat removes a lot of options to give you a working system without much
> > configuration on your part.  Later, when you are shooting for "guru-ship"

> As opposed to Slackware and FreeBSD, which do no configuration for you at
> all. For example, they dump you with sendmail and expect you to set it up.
> Debian's MTA setup scripts are wonderful.

?? I don't know about slackware, but FreeBSD did it automatically, much
to my dismay--I was *counting* on it not taking mail connections.

I really couldn't tell you whether it used smail or sendmail, but once
it had an IP address, net connection, and had downloaded the mail
program, it began rejecting my mail on the grounds of "no such user"

I then added myself, and mail received & sent just fine.

But just try to get those guys to answer a questin . . . I think I'm 0
for 5 on their mailing lists, which looks about typical when you read
them . . .

rick