install debian linux completely from source CD

Debian Gurus,

I recently bought the CheapBytes Debian 2.0 CD set (4 CDs). They are
most cool.  I have a question though:

Is there a way to completely build a debian linux installation from
source code on the Source CD?  I mean this:

use the binary CD to do a minimum install system, then use a tool like
dpkg or dselect to 'make' the packages (instead of installing binaries)
from the original source code?  This would be more time consuming,
obviously, but would capture the benefits of compiled for target
optimizations (pentium vs 486, etc).

Obvious you can 'make' individual packages but then you bypass the
benefits of dpkg package management.  I would love to have a linux
installation built COMPLETELY from the original source code.

I am sure its possible, but how do I do it?  TIA!!

Andrew Lynch,

lynchaj@yahoo.com

PS, please reply to my email address as well as copying the list.  I try
to keep up, but I several days behind in my email.  TIA!!