Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?

Kent,

just as a little background...I started off with slackware...It actually
proved to be a little to difficult for my tastes..then on the advice of a
friend (What's up karl?) I switched to debian. It was like a godsend. Things
worked well, and I have a great time with it. Yet, just for kicks a few
weeks ago I installed RedHat 5.0 just to see what all the talk was
about...and I still can't figure it out. RedHat is very easy to get
installed. But you don't learn anything about what it's doing. It's also
considerably slower, at least on my system. (P200 98M ram) The best way I've
learned to work with linux is....

1) Develope a strong love for Linux. So strong that nothing will kill it.
2) Make coffee, and stay up drinking it and hacking at linux until you can
no longer clearly see your monitor. Usually this is at about 4-5am.
3) If something doesn't work, forget about it for the time being and move on
to something else. If you allow yourself to get lost in linux, it's quite
enjoyable. Just wander through your system and check out anything that looks
interesting. Read...Read...Read...anything related to linux that you can get
your hands on.
4) I've always found it helpful to keep in mind that if something isn't
working...most of the time it's your fault. Just keep the faith that Linux
is Good and that eventually you will get it working. As you work with it,
your knowledge of it will grow exponentially.

-Colin