Re: apache: "httpd: cannot determine local host name."

>I installed apache, but at the end of the configuration stage it failed to
>start, giving an error. I ran "apacheconfig", and got the following output
>(essentially the same error):
>
>----------------------------
>Save these changes to the configuration files? [Y/n]
>
>Rotated `/etc/apache/httpd.conf' at Sat Dec 12 09:53:35 EST 1998.
>Restart Apache now? [Y/n]
>Stopping apache with apachectl ...
>httpd: cannot determine local host name.
>Use the ServerName directive to set it manually.
>/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>----------------------------
>
>I don't know why it should have trouble finding my hostname. It's right
>there in /etc/hostname. I don't know how to use the 'ServerName' directive,
>whatever that is.

To set the ServerName directive you put "ServerName your.ip.address" in one
of the files in /etc/apache. Most likely in httpd conf. If you plan on using
apache as a real web server...(rather than for reading you man pages in your
browser) you would be doing yourself a big favor to read the apache
documentation carefully. Also if this is going to be a production web
server, you may want to disable telnet and ftp acess to it..I think you can
use ssh instead.

-Colin