Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> But it comes down to "GNU/Linux" being a political statement, and one
> that I disagree with.
>
> rick

Agreed. I tend to use GNU/Linux only when talking about Debian because
that is what Debian calls their product. Much energy is wasted in
political debates about the various levels of freeness of things. Reminds
me of arguments about angels on pins.

I do not use Debian because of their political philosophy, I use it
because of its technical merits. If anything, their political stance
diminishes the utility of the distribution. It turns pine into pain, for
example. If forced to choose politics (or as RMS would call it
"psycho-social" issues) over utility, politics will loose. I am not
against proprietary software, I am against bad software. I will not use a
bad free product when a good non-free product is available. If software is
good and free, so much the better.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!