Trouble with diaresis and ssharp keys

Hello, everybody,

I am presently experiencing the following problem:

On my hamm installation I get only beeps when pressing the diaresis keys
on my german keyboard (i.e. adiaresis, odiaresis, udiaresis). Pressing the
ssharp key gives me an output similar to <ESC-.> . The consoles and X
terminals behave similarly. Issuing commands like "loadkeys ..." or
defining a new xmodmap map didn't improve things. On the other hand I can
display documents containing these characters and can also use the keys
within editors like emacs or vi.

And help would be warmly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

	-- Stefan Gundel