Help installing Linux on a Toshiba laptop

I'm attempting to install Debian onto my laptop.  I know I need the tecra disk
images, but I'm still having problems.  So far I've:

Downloaded the files to a directory on my Win95 C: drive.   I renamed
resc1440tecra.bin to resc1440.bin and drv1440tecra.bin to drv1440.bin.  I also
guess that the ltecra file should overwrite the linux file, so I renamed
ltecra to linux as well.  When I reboot and execute install.bat, I get a
locked up PC with a few chars of garbage.   I took a guess that linux was
having problems installing from my compressed C: drive, so I rebooted with a
Win95 boot disk and tried again.  This time, I got the A20 gate error.

I'm confused, aren't the tecra images supposed to get around this?  Or did I
forget something?  I checked the mailing lists, but all it said was:

1) Get a patch - but it doesn't say what the patch is - other than that is
what the tecra disks are for

and

2) build a new Zimage - a moot point since I can't even load Linux on the
machine at this point.

What's wrong?