Re: [exim/fetchmail] A day in the life of an email

Hello,

Just one minor comment, since others seem to be handling the query...

> Mark Phillips wrote:
> > 3.  Fetchmail feeds this email into some black box (I don't understand
> > this bit - is it a file or is it a program that is sitting around
> > waiting for such events???).
> There is no black box.  Fetchmail communicates directly with exim thru
> port 25 using the SMTP protocol.

Actually, there's another way you can hand a message to exim, and that is
by invoking it directly, as /usr/sbin/exim (or /usr/sbin/sendmail).

You can configure fetchmail to use either method.

BTW, you might need to configure exim to accept invalid sender addresses
from fetchmail, but I've forgotten how I did that.

> > 5.  I then decide to send a message to fred@banana.com.  I compose an
> > email in pine which puts the message in the "black box" talked about
> > above.
> As above, pine will communicate directly with port 25 or your local
> machine and talk to exim.

I would suspect that most programs would call /usr/sbin/sendmail, because
that's a lot easier to do. Certainly elm has that filename hard-coded into
it, and so does mutt.

/usr/sbin/sendmail is another name for exim, which then does whatever it's
supposed to with the message - typically, it'll either write it to
someone's mailbox, telnet 25 to another host, or write it into its private
area to deal with it later.

HTH

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>