X-windows

Hi,  I am trying to install the GUI for the first time.  I have tried it
twice and failed both times.  I get through everything and at the end of
the instillation program it tries to bring the the x-windows up but it
can't and says there was "errono=111"  It asks if I would like to try
and configure it again.  I press "OK" it then goes to a black and white
screen with a pattern on it and an "X."  I sit and wait but nothing
happens.  I tried moving the mouse and it moves the "X" in a jerky way
and it ends up on top of the screen and then everything freezes and I
can't "Ctrl-alt-delete" out and I have to shut the computer down with
the button.  I am using "The Debian Linux User's Guide."  When I go back
and check which packages have been installed the only one required by
the book that isn't is xbase, it says that it was attempted but not
installed (it has a "C" by it).  One thing that I am not sure about is
the video card.  The only card installed on my computer is the modem.
The first time I tried to install x-windows I selected "none," the
second time "generic VGA."  Does every monitor have a video card?  I
hope this is enough to by, anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks,
Kent