Re: How download linux install kernal?

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Blair Kelly wrote:

> Andrew Ivanov wrote:
>
> > No special instructions, just
> > Shift+Left button to save it on disk.
>
> I thank you for your suggestion.  Yet when I tried it, I got a file that
> is
> 689K long while the file while downloading says it is only 688K long.
> (Should I be worried?)  And it still appears as a Netscape icon that

Nah; minor differences like that can be attributed to different ways of
counting a megabyte and the cluster size of the drive it's stored on, etc.

> when I click on it brings up Netscape with gobbdy-gook inside.
> (Which I expect, since this is a binary file.)
>
> By the way the reason I am trying to download it to my hard disk is
> so that I can do an install from disk as described in section 6.2 of the
>
> installation instructions.  The instructions say I need this file.

It sounds like the file is being saved to your hard drive with an .HTM[L]
extension. If Win98 is configured to hide known file extensions (which is
the default, and which in my opinion is STUPID with a capital STUPID),
turn off that option for future use. For now, just rename the file back to
its original.

Of course, you can't double-click on it in Windows and expect it to do
anything; you've got to use rawrite.exe (or a variant like rawrite2.exe)
to copy it to a floppy where it will be used during the
booting/installation of Linux.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu