Re: how to check whether everything is installed

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Birgit Kellner wrote:

> Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied to this thread so far. I
> managed to sort out some package conflicts with dselect, but they have
> not resolved the basic problem. What's more, dselect has configured man,
> to the effect that I cannot find manual entries which I could access
> before ...

My not-so-very-well-grounded quess is that when you used floppies to
install your debian, you missed too many packages, which were depending on
each other... In my case I had first some problems because of defect
multicd-installation-program. It didn't install at all a basic packet
(dpkg-perl) and I made a mistake to install with dpkg -i method quite many
packages separately and my dselect was some time totally out of order. It
showed uninstalled packets installed and vice versa. Finally I had to
reinstall the whole thing. Now it works quite perfectly.

Could it be possible for you to connect your computer with another one
possesing a cd-rom driver? Is it possible to use somehow for example
laplink cable to connect computers to use the other computer's
cd-rom-drive to install the other?

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi