Re: KDE 1.0.....

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 01:16:09PM +0000, Rich Hartman wrote:
> Is KDE 1.0 available anywhere in *.deb format - does anyone know if
> debian is going to continue releasing KDE? I have the "old" KDE
> installed, and it's a little buggy - if debian is vetoing them, maybe
> I should think about switching to Gnome? But is that anywhere near
> ready for prime-time?
Hi Rich,

the best place to go looking for KDE .debs is at their site: ftp.kde.org.
I've seen KDE .deb-packages in their ftp-area. It's also accessible via the
web interface at www.kde.org.

Usability depends on what you consider "old".  I am using a self compiled
version 1.0.  The only thing which bugs me about this 1.0-release is the
documentaion.  I a lot of cases all I  got to read was something like:
"Currently there's no documentation avilable for this program."  All in all,
I think KDE's pretty usable, though.
The last release I saw of GNOME (0.30 I think) was still too unstable to be
considered seroiusly.
Maybe you want to  look at a "regular" windowmanager, rather than a desktop
environment.  Window Maker 0.20.3, for instance, is what I am currently using.

Hope this helps.

So long,
Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
                                     *** Coffee not found: Operator halted ***