Re: Joystick

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> *- Michael Beattie wrote about "Joystick"

[snip]

> Linux quake does not have native support for the joystick.  The only
> way to get the joystick to work in quake is to use the joy2key program
> at http://www.freenet.tlh.fl.us/~amstpi/joy2key.html.  This program
> translates joystick movement and buttons to keyboard activity.  Joy2key
> supports X, tty's and rawconsole(svgalib).  It supports a config file
> with different sections for different games.  Someone has started a
> page with different config's(only about 3 or 4 right now) at
> http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~tetron/joy2keyconfig.html.

Yeah, I've read about joy2key, but I did not know where to get it.

I was asking about quake2, not quake.. but thats not a problem, playing
quake2 multiplayer with a joystick is instant death. I just wanted to try
out the drivers. Quake2 does have negligible joystick support, but I think
it's only cosmetic. Such as an initialisation command, an option "Use
Joystick" but there is no input from it at all. I even linked /dev/js0 to
as many different joy* devices that I could think of. Anyway, I have been
pointed to "sabre", a flight sim.

> With the new joystick driver in the kernel I would expect more games to
> natively support the js? devices.  Especially once the 2.2 series of
> kernels hit the wire.

Yeah... and the support for new Joysticks is increasing.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

      Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
     such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
        with a NZ$ 40 administration charge.  (Hmmm another Stolen Sig)