ftp (client?) problem

I'm having a problem where I can download a file to my Linux
box but not upload in the opposite direction.  (BTW, the
remote machine is a Unix box running Digital Unix or
Solaris.)  When I do a "put", ftp (the program) will simply
sit there doing nothing.  Sometimes, I'm lucky (?) and it
uploads about 2.5K before it sits still.

My suspicion is on the ftp client program as I can upload a
file fine from a PC running Win95 which the Linux box
masquarades for.  (Is that the correction expression??)

Any help would be appreciated.

Fumi Okushi