Re: rvplayer

shao shouted,

> 	When I use rvplayer to play a file with both audio & video, I
> always get a msg slow system performance, dropping frame. i.e the video is
> not playing...

> 	I am using P166 with 64MB ram. I also tried to use nice, but
> didn't help...

nice on rvplayer will make matters worse, rather than better.

rvplayer can be cpu intensive; it has those pictures compressed in some
format, and I think it sends changes,rather than full frames (but I
could be wrong).  And if you use the zoom, it gets even more cycle
hungry (hey, those nametags in Congress, and the captions on foxnes,
can be hard to read.  I want to know who I'm laughing at :).

Anyway, the problem seems to be worse on a bad feed; i see no reason
why my k6/200 would have problems on just a 2x2" 56k feed.

Hmm, still not to the point.  Once you start rvplayer, you can, from a
root window, un-nice it.  Niceing a process makes it less agressive
about cpu cycles, so make it mean :)

    renice 12345 -10

for example, will give it  all kinds of access--thought everything else
may suffer.  Use as close to 0 as gets you adequate performance.

rick