Re: transferring to sendmail 8.9 while still using hamm

Quoting Chris Evans (chris@psyctc.sghms.ac.uk):
> I want to move my sendmail on my two working machines up to 8.9
> for the improved and built-in antispamming facilities there.
>
> That looks as if it will require a move to a more recent libc6,
> netbase and libdb (and I haven't yet worked out what they might
> also want!)
>
> I don't want to move over to slink yet and my real priority is not to
> break anything that's not broken nor to do work I don't need to do.
>
> Anyone done this and found it worked with just the upgrade to
> those three dependent packages?

As long as you get the current packages, you should be all right. The
netbase and libdb2 from hamm are already the right versions, and don't
need to be upgraded. You will need from slink: (newer versions okay if
available)
	sendmail 8.9.1-15
	libc6 2.0.7u-7.1
	ldso 1.9.9-5 (libc6 depends on it)

if you have them installed, you will also need to upgrade:
	libc6-dev 2.0.7u-7.1
	libstdc++-2.8 2.90.29-2

I know that ldso has to be installed first, and libc needs to go before
sendmail. I don't remember if the order of the other packages
matters--if it does, dpkg will return a message saying that it can't
configure a package until another package is installed. Just install
what it wants and go back and do the first one again.

Mike Stone