Re: ??? playing cd's in cdplayer ???

"Rich Hartman" <rehartma@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
| I just got my cdrom setup by modifying my fstab file (thanks for the
| help!) so that it is user-mountable... Now I can mount it and read a
| data-type cd... However, when I try to mount it when an audio cd is
| in, it says it's not a proper filesystem (which I guess it's not...)
| but if it's not mounted, how can i use a cdplayer program to listen
| to the cd... when the drive is not mounted, i get a message saying
| that the cdrom is unaccessable...

Install the "xmcd" package. It's a great program and it can go to CDDB
sites (via http) and get information on the CD in your player, if it's
in their database. If it's not you can create your own local database,
and even add it to their databases if you so desire.

Anyway, audio CD's aren't mounted. The program on your computer merely
detects that it's an audio CD and sends appropriate commands to the CD
drive to tell it to play, eject, what track to go to, etc.

| On a similar note - I'm running hamm, and I have a Soundblaster Awe64
| (PnP) and a plug'n'play BIOS... during setup, I vaguely recall
| picking a soundblaster driver (does this seem possible?)... If I just
| want to listen to cds and .wav files or mpeg3 files, should I have to
| recompile the kernel and all of that other harsh stuff described in
| the sound HOWTO?

No, you won't need to recompile, but you'll want to install the awe
packages, e.g., awe-drv, awe-midi and awe-netscape.

Gary