Re: elm email gets through, exmh email doesn't

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Emile Carcamo wrote:

> > I can now successfully send email to "mark@ist.flinders.edu.au" using
> > elm, but when I try and send a similar message using exmh, it complains
> > that:
> >
> >   mark at ist.flinders.edu.au: loses; [USER] 550 relaying to
> > <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> prohibited by administrator
> > post: 1 addressee undeliverable
> > send: message not delivered to anyone
> >
> > Why won't exmh let me do it if elm will.  What on earth is going on?
>
> 	This is a mh/nmh related problem. You may check the file :
>
> 	/usr/local/nmh/etc/mts.conf	(for nmh releases)
>
> 	Let me know how it goes once this has been customized to
> 	fit your site specs... Best regards,

Thanks for your help.

I changed over to nmh (I had mh before) as this seems to be better?  Still
had the same problem though.  I have looked at the mts.conf file and read
the documentation I could find but I can't see what's wrong.  It looks
okay to me, but then I am new to configuring email and such things.  The
settings look correct (I think) and I can't see where it prohibits the
relaying of an external email.

The options set in the mts.conf file are:

mmdfldir: /var/spool/mail
mmdflfil:
hostable: /etc/nmh/hosts
servers: localhost

Now there is no /etc/nmh/hosts file.  Is this a problem?  I use exim which
is a drop-in replacement for sendmail and it is configured to pass
non-local messages on to the outside world, so surely the only server nmh
needs to know about is localhost, and exim will do the rest?  As I said
before, will elm, everything seems to work okay.

Cheers,

Mark.