Re: First attempt

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Kent West wrote:

> I don't think I'd use one partition for the system, although the system
> doesn't really care. It's just that later you might find it more useful if
> you've "modularized" the system some. I'd probably allocate 200MB for the
> root, maybe 300 if you want to be generous. Then maybe 64 or 128MB for the
> swap (you can't use more than 128MB for a single swap partition, I
> believe, and I think 64 would be more than adequate). The rest of the
> drive I'd probably evenly divide into partitions for /usr, /tmp, /var, and
> /home. Others would probably say this is overkill.

 If you have separate /usr and /home partitions, the root, "/" partition
doesn't have to be large at all. I've had trouble filling up 40MB. On a
huge drive it's not terribly important, but I'd suggest 200MB as a
*maximum*. Otherwise, it'll just be wasted.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248)377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

  Modern inductive method: 1) Devise hypothesis. 2) Apply for grant.
 3) Perform experiments. 4) Revise data to fit hypothesis. 5) Publish.