Sound problems

Hi,
I need some help figuring out sound on games with debian.  I have a SB
16 on hamm/slink system.  Sound is configured in the kernel (2.0.33).  I
can cat sound.au > /dev/audio and it works. CD audio also works.

I am running wmaker .20.x.x with wmsound from frozen. The thing is, I
have never really worried about sound before. (I find it kinda annoying
with all the little beeps and boings). Anyway, I installed acm, the
flight combat game, and it gives me an error when I load it that sound
is not available for display :0.0. and quits.  If I run acms (sound
daemon), it just hangs. If I then run acm from another terminal, I get a
seg fault from acms.

I can't confirm that it's only _this_ game, as I'm not much of a gamer
and don't have any others loaded on my system.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
thanks,
dyer