Re: Help - X meets my OLD monitor

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 MallarJ@aol.com wrote:

> Hey guys... I'm outta ideas on this one, so I'm posting here with the hopes
> someone can help me out.
>
> I'm trying to configure X on my system - it has an old Mitsuba monitor that I
> can't seem to get specs on.  Here's what I DO know:
>
> * Model  Mitsuba 710VH
> * Under Win95, I can run 800x600 with no problem.
[...]
> Any ideas on how I can get SVGA server to run on this monitor?

 First, have you tried asking on some Windows lists and newsgroups for the
specs that Windows 95 uses to do 800x600? Some Windows guru may know the
file that contains the info you need. I would definitely try this if you
haven't already.

 Failing that, you'll need to do some guesswork. This will be dangerous
guesswork so I hereby disclaim *all* responsibility if you end up frying
your monitor. :-< Use the following at your own risk:

 I assume that it's a fixed-frequency monitor. Almost all, if not all,
inexpensive monitors from those days are. I'd collect all the 800x600
modelines you can find. (Try www.xfree86.org as a starting point.) Lie in
the XF86Config file and tell X that you have a variable-frequency monitor,
so will let you try various modelines.

 Now, *CAREFULLY*, one by one, try the modelines until one works, or you
run out of modelines. What I'd suggest is:

 1. Log onto virtual console 1.
 2. Log into virtual console 2.
 3. Edit the XF86Config file, set up a candidate modeline.
 4. Run startx in vc2.
 5. If the picture doesn't come up, *immediately* hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to
    switch to vc1.
 6. Do a ps, and kill the X server.
 7. Go to 3, try a different modeline.

 The monitor can *probably* handle a certain amount of stress like this.
Banging on it all day is probably not a good idea. Listen for high
whining noises or smell for smoke. Again, there are no guarantees. I have
accidentally driven monitors badly before (for a few seconds, when I
was playing with video mode hacking) and they have survived, but I may
just be favored by the gods or something.

 Once you have a modeline that works, use the Video Timings HOWTO to help
you back-calculate the monitor specs. Put those fixed-frequency specs in
the XF86Config file so you won't accidentally fry your monitor later.

 Good luck. Hopefully you won't need too much of it.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder,
  but when you do you blow your whole leg off."  -  Bjarne Stroustrop