Re: ipchains/ip_masq problems

In article <[🔎] 19981207201602.A20406@teleute.ml.org> Steve Lamb wrote:
>  On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:10:28PM -0500, wax_man@bellsouth.net wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas on what I have not done properly?
>
>      Trying to do it yourself...  ;)
>
>  ipmasq - Initializes IP Masquerade firewalling/forwarding
>
>  This package contains scripts to initialize IP Masquerade, a feature of
>  Linux that allows an entire network of computers to be connected to another
>  network (usually the Internet) with only one network address on the other
>  network.  IP Masquerade is often referred to as NAT (Network Address
>  Translation) on other platforms.
>
>  The package by default configures the system for a basic forwarding
>  firewall, with IP spoofing and stuffed routing protection.  However, ipmasq
>  now features a very flexible framework whereby you can override any of the
>  predefined rules if you so choose.  It also allows you to control if the
>  rules are reinterpreted when pppd brings a link up or down.
>
>  IP Masquerade requires the kernel to be compiled with CONFIG_FIREWALL,
>  CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_FORWARD, and CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE.
>

>  --
>               Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
>      http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my
>               ICQ: 5107343              | skills and labor, not my opinions!

I'm trying to get ICQ on win98 out through a Linux firewall with not
much luck so far.  It sometimes works, usually mostly fails when the
other end is also behind a firewall.

I've got the above (CONFIG_*) configged in, have ipmasq installed with
the following in rc.boot/ipmasq:

ipfwadm -F -p deny
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

(192.168.1.2 is the win98 box and 192.168.1.1 the firewall)

This is supposed to make ICQ happy but it fails with
"setsockopt: Protocol not available":

/usr/sbin/ipautofw -A -r tcp 2000 4000 -c udp 4000 -u

It looks like you (Steve) have ICQ working OK.  Whatsa trick?

Rick