ack! I've hosed init

seems like I'm in big trouble here.  I've experimented update-rc.d and now
init doesn't know it's runlevel.   Well, I can boot but when I issue
"reboot" it coughs up something like:

couldn't determine runlevel... doing soft reboot instead.

then it reboots.

Everything looks fine 'cept that the init process is doing itself twice
everytime I boot.

How do I fix this?  Can somebody tell me where are the logfiles for init?

Maybe I can include it in the next mail.

I'm also tempted to reinstall Debian on my baby.

TIA.

Admiral Charah
Technical Support Group
Cyberspace Laoag, ISP