Re: 512MB RAM, 860MB swap and out of memory ?

On Mon, 07 Dec, 1998 à 12:56:06PM +0100, Jan Krupa wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 ulisses@pusa.eleinf.uv.es wrote:

> > Hi Krupa!
> >
> > On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Jan Krupa wrote:
> >

> > > My Debian Linux 2.0 cannot use more than 460MB sawp :(
> >
> > that's very extrange :-(
> You're right. Linux can use my 860MB of swap ( I gave some
> applications very big task so they used all of my swap).
>
> It seems that mathematica3.02 under Linux cannot use
> more than 460MB of swap :)))).

I'd got a similar problem with pari on a symbolic computation :
when the program ran out of memory, it tries to double the size
of its allocated memory (in my case it couldn't make better than
48MB RAM + about 30MB swap out of 96). For me, adding a swapfile
made the trick but in your case the swap file would be over 500MB.

--
Laurent Picouleau      | Linux : Mettez un pingouin dans votre ordinateur !
   lcrpic@a2points.com | Seuls ceux qui ne l'utilisent pas en disent du mal.