eth0: unknown interface

Hi!  I just got my trusty Debian Linux installed and here's my hardware setup:

486/66 with 8 MB RAM, 630 MB hard disk, 3C509B-combo NIC

My problem is during initial installation I wasn't able to setup the NIC so now here I am in the # prompt not knowing how to add/configure it.  I read thru all the HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs (relevant ones of course), recompiled the kernel with 3C509 support but still it would give me:

eth0: unknown interface

as the error message.  In SCO UNIX there's this netconfig command to add a NIC and assign protocols and ip address before recompiling the kernel.  What's the equivalent command/steps in Linux?

TIA.