RE: Just My 2 Cents

> Hey All,
>
> Just venting.
>
> Recently I check out the Linux apps wish list web page! I though
> that it was
> mighty funny that the software that most people want to see
> ported to Linux
> is made by the big nasty Microsoft clan. Personally, I hate M$
> and was glade
> to find Linux. If it wasn't for Linux I probably would have only
> used my PC
> for games, which is about the only thing I  WindBlows is go for (IMHO)!

Two things: First, I must agree, I've seen that bsod once too much in my
life
Second, let's not get to M$ sucks because M$ sucks kind of arguments,
please.

> It seems to me that most Linux user feel the same way. I always
> read threads
> on the evil M$ or how bad Windblows is etc! So can someone tell me why the
> Hell everyone wants M$ apps ported to Linux - Doesn't that  defeat the
> purpose!!! Well to me it does.

Actually, I think more and more people are wanting Microsof-like
applications, because the Microsoft philosophy has some good ideas,
especially when you are a end-user.

Let's assume hardware requirments are not an issue and that there are NO
SINGLE BUG in any of those so-called apps. the philosophy behind Microsoft
thingies is pretty appealing to users. A single interface, compared to
Linux' buttload of window managers and widget sets. I agree it's a Linux
advantage on Microsoft on many points, but not to the newbie, or seldom
user.

Let's take the Windows' IE and Office integration as an example. In the
basic, it's a great idea. You get to do everyday tasks more easily, the
appropriate tools are more handy and more and more softwares can use those
apps as subsets of themselves. You get a serie of to-be-powerful tools that
are imposed as standards, guaranteeing that your knowledge is to be
preserved from task to task.

Now my point is: Microsoft has some great ideas, and it would be a shame to
spit on those ideas simply because they are Microsoft's. I'm the first to
acknowledge the fact that a monopoly will eventually kill the software
market, and having the choice of a single suite of apps is not the
philosophy we want behind Linux. (That philosophy being the freedom of
choice)

I think the way to go as a community would to form a regroupment which would
define standards on how such suite of apps should behave and output, and let
the programmers do their job. Let's have a central brain which coordinates
everyone's effort in a single place, to get the most out of our
anarchy-based development model. The greatest example of such an app is
Gecko (the latest Mozilla 'semi-official' build). It's simply is an
internet-document renderer, yet it'll aimed to be used in things other than
a browser, like HTML E-mail readers, help systems and other things that
way.... Doesn't that sounds familiar? Yes, it does. Microsoft did the same
with IE, Office and Visual Studio. At the center of Microsoft philosophy is
to convince users to use their software. At the basis of ours, it's to allow
users to choose, and modularize the OS and suite of apps environment.
Microsoft actually did good things. It simply never did them for the correct
purpose.