backpack CD on Toshiba laptop

Anyone willing to educate me on how to mount a parallel port CD in
Linux?

All the HOWTO's, FAQ-O-MATIC's and FAQ pages for both Debian and Linux
that I can find say things like "after mounting an external CD device
through the parallel port..." without ever actually telling me HOW to
mount the doggone thing.

Since this particular laptop doesn't have a built in CD and the only
PCMCIA NIC I currently have is a Xircom and thus not supported by the
installation drivers.  The CD is so that I can get access to the
LinuxPress distribution CD and install the aditional PCMCIA support sot
hat _then_ I can go online and get everything else installed.

- Ed