RE:Serial port problem/modem

I have a 28.8 modem that worked under Windows 3.1 before I
switched my machine over to Debian 2.0.34.  I have a serial mouse
that I got working fine using gpm and now I would like to configure
the machine to use my modem.  THe problem is that I can not seem
to get the machine to recognize that there is anything in COM2.  The
modem is internal and not a WinModem.  The /dev/ttyS0 is the only
COM port that the kernel sees on boot-up.  ANy hints out there??
TIA

John Greer