Re: ICQ over IP Masquerading

Jens Ritter wrote:

> Michael Beattie <mickyb@es.co.nz> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Paul Miller wrote:
> >

> > > Has anyone gotten ICQ to work over Linux IP Masquerading?  Someone said
> > > something about telling Linux that ICQ uses ports 2000 to 4000, but I don't
> > > know what to do with them or how.  Can anyone help?
> > >
> Maybe the "autofw" feature of the new kernels will help?
> You have to enable "experimental drivers" before you will see it in
>  make menuconfig.
>
> Jens
> --
> Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org
> KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28
> Print: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37
> "Das ist halt der Unterschied: Unix ist ein Betriebssystem mit Tradition,
>  die anderen sind einfach von sich aus unlogisch."
>                 -- Anselm Lingnau in de.comp.os.unix.discussion
>
> --

I got it to work successfully using ipautofw. I follow the instructions
on winroute site (www.winroute.com). Here is what I did:

I create a script something like this:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ipautofw -F # Flush the autoforward table
/usr/sbin/ipautofw -A -r tcp 5000-5011 -h
<my_internal_machine's_hostname_or_ip>

Then (quote from winroute site):

"In ICQ "Preferences" choose "Connection", "I'm using a permanent
internet connection (LAN)", "I'm behind a firewall or proxy". In
"Firewall Settings" choose "I don't use a SOCKS Proxy server ...", press
the "Next" button, choose "Use the following TCP listen ports for
incoming event" and enter the range 5000 through 5011.

"If you wish to run several ICQ clients in your LAN (and these clients
need to accept calls from other ICQ users), you have to create an entry
in the mapped ports table for each additional client and assign a port
range to it (e.g. 5012 - 5023). You also have to configure each ICQ
client accordingly. "

My impression is that the author of ipautofw encourage people to use -c
option (control port) rather than -h (host). (I could be wrong on this.)
So the last line of above script becomes:
/usr/sbin/ipautofw -A -r tcp 5000-5011 -c udp 4000 # icq use udp 4000 as
control port

But I can't think of a way to use control port on a multi-client
scenario. Anyway, if your internal Lan is not that big, this is not an
issue.

--
Guoqiang Dai
gqdai@home.com