Re: ICQ over IP Masquerading

>I got it to work successfully using ipautofw. I follow the instructions
>on winroute site (www.winroute.com). Here is what I did:

[ snip ]

>"If you wish to run several ICQ clients in your LAN (and these clients
>need to accept calls from other ICQ users), you have to create an entry
>in the mapped ports table for each additional client and assign a port
>range to it (e.g. 5012 - 5023). You also have to configure each ICQ
>client accordingly. "

Ughhhhhhh. That's why I just compiled a socks5 proxy on my dial-up box. The
effort to compile socks5 isn't all that much more than the effort you put
into getting autoforward to work, but it has the advantages of 1) you can
add as many new ICQ users to your network as you want and you don't have to
allocate more fowarding ranges (or otherwise booger with your settings), and
2) socks can be used by a variety of other client software as well.

Of course, the *real* solution is to just not use ICQ... but the same can be
said for shooting heroin, but do they ever listen? Nooooooo! :)

- Joe