Re: Unix book

My recommendations (& a lot of other peoples) all from O'Reilly & all
my opinion:

Running Linux - now in it's second edition but I still have the first
- not much changed.  It's a really good overview of Linux and IMO the
best book for a new user.  Some people like Linux for Dummies but I
can't stand the dummy/idiot/moron/dumba** series myself.  If you only
want to buy one book buy this one.

Linux in a Nutshell - the best Linux quick ref available hands down &
for me a great learning tool - not as comprehensive about each command
as the manpages but usually enough to get the job done.

Essential System Administration - of great value to me but you might
not need or want it.  It's not focused on Linux but on many flavours
of *n[iu]x.

HTH, G.S.