Re: Remote backup

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Stef Hoesli Wiederwald wrote:

> I want to make a backup from one machine directly into a tar file on
> another machine. How could I do that? I'm thinking about something
> like: tar -c / | rcp ...

You'll have to did for more details (i.e. how tar accompishes this), but
if you are using GNU tar (the standard debian tar), I found this in a
quick search of the info page:

   To specify an archive file on a device attached to a remote machine,
use the following:

     --file=HOSTNAME:/DEV/FILE NAME

`tar' will complete the remote connection, if possible, and prompt you
for a username and password.  If you use `--file=@HOSTNAME:/DEV/FILE
NAME', `tar' will complete the remote connection, if possible, using
your username as the username on the remote machine.

Cheers.

--
Colin Telmer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
<mailto:telmerco@telmer.com>