beginner: mouse jitters

I am trying to get the mouse running on an NEC powermate 486 sx-25 i.
When installing the mouse driver from floppy,  a message says,
    No module parameters.
    Depends on misc.o
and the driver installation usually fails.
When the driver does install and I run vgacardgames there is no pointer.
When I quit the game there is a message saying that the mouse must be
configured in     /etc/vga/libvga.config,   where I add the line,   mouse PS2.
After that the pointer arrow appears but hardly moves from
the top right corner and instantly returns to that corner.
>From the busmouse HOWTO it appears to be a PS/2 type of mouse.
I have also tried a program called multimouse and
it behaves in the same way,  but in the top left corner.

The machine has a 4x cdrom drive with the debian binary-i386 cdrom.
Installing from floppies until the cdrom driver is loaded.
I use the internet at the local public library.

** PLEASE SEND YOUR REPLY TO SENDERS EMAIL ADDRESS **
    as this address is not on the automated subscriber mailing list.