Debian Timezones

What's wrong with the Debian timezones? I never had any problems with bo
(that I remember), but when I upgraded to hamm, then slink, and now
potato, something's wrong with the timezone. I have my system set up so
that the system time is GMT, but the local time is Central. /etc/timezone
contains one line:
CST6CDT

The above looks correct, because I am in Central and we have Daylight
Savings Time in the summer. And Central is 6 hours east of GMT, so it all
looks good. *However*, on outgoing mail (such as this message), it says
"-0600 (EST)". This is not correct. I am not in Eastern, and if I were,
that would be -0500. I checked in /usr/doc/timezone, but it's just glibc
info. Not very useful. I checked some of the headers on this list, and I
am not the only one experiencing this problem. What's up?

| pretzelgod                 | pretzelgod@pretzelnet.com    |
| (Eric Gillespie, Jr.)      | epgilles@olemiss.edu         |
| "Universal obedience is universal stagnation;             |
|  disobedience is one of the conditions of progress."      |
|  --Robert G. Ingersoll                                    |