Re: Kernel 2.0.34 problems

Steve Lamb <morpheus@teleute.ml.org> writes:
| [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
| On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 01:39:25PM +1100, Richard Lyon wrote:
| > >     We'll find out shortly.  I'm FTPing the sources from sunsite.  Never
| > > did like the Debian way of doing the Kernel.
| > >

| > GULP.... This seems a bit drastic, "make zlilo" works for me with 2.0.34.
| > It almost seems like you have not installed all the right development
| > bits. Have you got a copy of these missing header files anywhere on your
| > machine?
|
|     Drastic?  Why?  Seems sensable to me.
[snip]

Personally, I rarely use the stock Debian kernels. Mainly because I
have an Adaptec 2940UW that isn't supported so well, at least until
2.0.36, without patches. I also fiddle with the development kernels on
occasion. With make-kpkg I can easily build my own custom kernels and
install them just as I would one of the stock Debian kernels.

I'm also a bit of a control freak when it comes to my kernels. I want
to be able to boot my kernel and have access to all the hardware I'd
need to do a full restore of my system from tape, without kernel
modules. It makes it easier to build a set of custom rescue diskettes
with such a kernel and the stock Debian kernel doesn't allow this.

So, Steve building his own kernels, directly from the source on
ftp.kernel.org (mirrored on sunsite) isn't so unusual.

Gary