Re: Permission(s) & /etc/skel

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 08:33:03PM -0600, William Flores wrote:
> I have a couple of ??'s here...and I'm still new to linux...but have felt
> that I have looked everywhere for it...
>
> 1st question:  I have /etc/skel w/ public_html in it...  I have /etc/skel
> setup for the following permissions.
<snip ls output>

Is the /home directory sgid as well? I believe this is why the other
directories become +s. Either way I personally prefer to setup
adduser.conf to not create groups for each user but instead use group
users or staff, then you can chmod -s /home.

> Why do these not show up as the way they are supposed to?????????
> The main thing I am trying to accomplish is to make sure other users are
> not able to see up above their own directory.  The only way I can fix this
> is via chmod go-r and go-s on the above files.  What do I do???

The permission you showed will do that. Each user is created with their
own group, meaning that group permissions only apply to them.

<snip>
> Now if I were to u/l a file via WS_FTP say download.html here is what happens:
>
> -rw-r-----   1 temp2    temp2        3886 Nov 29 14:32 download.html
> -rw-r--r--   1 temp2    temp2         961 Nov 29 14:25 index.html
>
> Now look at the difference between index and download....  Also I am not
> able to pull download.html up via my browser I get a permission denied
> message.  In order to fix this I would need to chmod o+r.

This has to do with possibly your ftpd, not sure why it uses that umask,
but see if it is defined in the ftpd config somewhere, it's also possible
that you ftp client is doing this intentionally from some setting, have
you tried another ftp client perhaps a unix one?

good luck

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org