nfs mounting

I have just tried to use NFS to mount directories on one of my
Debian boxes so I can transfer things from it to another.

I set /etc/exports on the first machine to show a (ro) permission on
/ for the second machine.  I tried that with and without
no_root_squash.  I killed and restarted rcp.mountd between each
change in /etc/exports.

On the second machine I ran mount machine1:/ /nfs with and
without options intr and different "block" sizes.

Whatever I do the mount stays there as a foreground task but
nothing appears to ls in /nfs.  showmount on the first machine
shows the mount each time.

I'm doing something wrong clearly but there's nothing diagnostic I
can see telling me what I need to change.  Anyone spot the
obvious?!

TIA,

Chris

Chris Evans, R&D Consultant,