debian X

Hallo again,
	I'm puzzled about the way the debian X distribution works. On my machine at home
I put on the distribution from Xfree86.org because I was more familiar with that and I couldn't
figure out dselect properly at the time, but on my machine at work I've put the 'proper' Debian
X installation.
	My problem is with the way the X server starts. I can happily use XF86Setup
to give me a nice looking server at 1182x864x8, but after that whenever I run startx I get
a message saying something about the X server not being able to run at the specified
resolution (sorry I don't have the exact message at hand). BUT IT WORKED FOR XF86SETUP!
I know that 'X' is a wrapper around the chosen server but what exactly does it do?
If I change X to a symbolic link to the Xserver then everything works fine. My resolution
is crystal clear and everything appears to be running ok. As long as X is the wrapper, it doesn't
want to run above vga.
	Any ideas?
Initially the adjustments made at the end of XF86Setup with xvidtune weren't written to XF86Config
either. I had to manually record the values and make the adjustments myself. Is this 'normal'
for the Debian X Windows? If not then what am I doing wrong?
	All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks again. You're all wonderful

*
*      "This job's too hard for us" -Andy and Randy Pig
*