potato blight (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 11:22:58 -0600 (EST)
From: Russell Cook <russ@icon.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: potato blight

I tried yesterday to "apt-get upgrade" for the first time since
Slink was frozen.   I failed to update my sources.list file,
and got many files from the unstable release (I think).

My symptoms now are that apt-get no longer works, dselect doesn't work,
startx doesn't exist.

Attached are some of my error messages.  Is it possible that I have
downloaded incompatible lib files, and if so, which ones must I download
to restore my system without reinstalling Debian?  I was running a Slink
system before I broke it.  Following are some of the library versions
currently loaded on my machine.

Thanks for any help.

russcook@icon.net

apt 0.1.9
bash 2.01.1-4
base-files 2.0.3
dpkg 1.4.1
dpkg-dev 1.4.1
gcc 2.7.2.3-5
kernel-headers 2.0.32-5
kernel-source 2.0.34-4
ldso 1.9.9-5
libc5 5.4.38-1.1
libc6 2.0.7u-6
libc6-dev 2.0.7u-6
libg++2.8 2.90.29-0.6
libg++27 2.7.1-14.4
libg++272 2.7.2.8-0.1
libstdc++2.8 22.90.29-1
libstdc++2.8-dev 22.90.29-0.6
libstdc++2.9 2.91.58-5
xbase 3.3.2.3a-8.1
xcontrib 3.3.2-3
xlib6g 3.3.2.3a-8
xlib6g-dev 3.3.2.3a-8
xserver-svga 3.3.2.3a-1
xserver-vga16 3.3.2.3a-1
xviewg 3.2p1.4-5

Script started on Sat Nov 28 11:03:44 1998
p90# dselect
dselect: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info
p90# apt-get
apt-get: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.0-1.so.2: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info
p90# startx
bash: startx: command not found
p90# exit

Script done on Sat Nov 28 11:03:53 1998

I'll be glad to send more info,if needed.
Thanks for any help.