Low memory & performance question

Hello all -

I'm trying to install Debian 2.0.2 on a Toshiba 386 laptop, with 4M of
memory and a 120M hard drive.  I RT the fine Manual and have my stack of
floppies ready.

Used lowmem.bin, did the partition thing (92M for me, 20M for swap, 6M for
Minix),
booted with the resc1440.bin disk and entered boot params of "rescue
root=/dev/hda3".

So far, so good. Get the usual scrolling screen, telling me that all is
well... except, for the past 20 minutes, I've been staring at a message
that tells me the system is "Adding swap: 20588k swap space (priority -1)".

The question is - Is Debian going to run worth a d**n on this thing?  The
primary use will be for learning C and mucking about with shell
programming. I won't be loading much more then the base system, gcc, g++,
and vi.

Dan Deasy
djd@discover-net.net