Keymaps/keytables/help...

I am getting a little confused with keymaps and the like.. I have never
had to play with them, but now that I do, I am finding them a little hard
to understand. Could someone enlighten me, or direct me to a ggod FAQ on
the subject? My main troubles are with the Meta stuff, and the Compose key
definition. I know that Meta is alt (right?), I just dont know the ins and
outs of this stuff.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

   "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
      very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams