Re: FAQ-O-MATIC (was Re: Linux Tips & Tricks)

Hi!

I totally agree with Mark on this subject.  The whole idea of FAQ-O-MATIC is great,  and once it showed up I thought it would quickly develop.  In my PERSONAL opinion it did not quite reach it's goals.

1. I agree with Mike - put it on the main page.

2. It's quite complicated.  I tried once to start a thread there, followed enormous number of steps (username, confirming e-mail) ... and still failed.  It's certainly because I'm dumb.

3. Still mailing archive in my mind is the best place for a tip.  Why?  It's very easy to use, perfect organisation, great search engine.  And unlike FAQ-O-MATIC anyone can easily contribute to the list.  On the other hand we don't want another copy of mailing list....

Don't understand me wrong:  I love the idea of FAQ-O-MATIC,  I just think that the project diverted from it's original goal.

One of the best FAQ's I saw was at CERN, about PAW (Physics analisys workstation) It's a plain list sorted by number of requests.  Question that I was interested in was right on top. (http://wwwinfo.cern.ch/asdcgi/listpawfaqs.pl)