Re: PPP connection speed

Shao Ying Zhang writes:
> In debian, for ISP A, I can have a average download rate 3k/s. But for B &
> C, the download rate is only about 800bytes/s.

> But for the same matchine, in RedHat 5.1, I can have a download rate at
> 3k/s for all three ISPs.

What version of pppd are you using with Red Hat?  What version with Debian?
What options are you giving pppd under Red Hat?  What options under Debian?

> I tried that and it didn't help.

I would not expect it to.

> By the way, I didn't use the debian script pon and poff. Since I have
> many ISPs, I wrote a shell script for them.

You didn't need to do that.  You could have run pppconfig once for each
ISP, giving each a unique name.  You would then have been able chose which
to call by entering 'pon <isp-name>'.

> -detach crtscts modem defaultroute &

> Is there anything wrong with the script?

'-detach' means do not fork and become a background process.  '&' tells the
shell to make pppd a background process.  Using both isn't wrong, exactly,
but it doesn't do anything either.  Leave out both the '-detach' and the
'&'.

> I use them in Redhat as well, and it didn't cause trouble at all...

The script should work fine.  It also does nothing not built into the
Debian ppp system.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)