Re: exim

*- Hamish Moffatt wrote about "exim"
> I just took the plunge and installed exim on our main mail server.
> The Debian configuration scripts got our important domains up and running
> immediately (local delivery) and the auto-freeze on others meant I could
> get the others running in no time.
>
> I've read the entire manual (just flipping through irrelevant parts).
> This is truely excellent; I never found a manual like this for smail.
> Using the manual alone, I have virtual domains, local suffixes,
> mail relaying to firewalled hosts, and very flexible filtering running.
> Impressive stuff. I'm converted.
>
> My only question: can I have my filter deliver messages into
> /var/spool/mail/hamish? I got a lockfile error whenever it tries to deliver
> them; I had to make a folder in my home directory for my new mail. Which
> isn't the end of the world, but it'd be nice to use the main mail file.
>
> Now I can finally have decent debian mail filtering. My previous configuration
> kinda worked .... this one really does.
>

> thanks,
> Hamish

I think you want the 'deliver' filter command:

>From the filter specification.(/usr/doc/exim/filter.txt.gz)

12. The deliver command

       deliver <mail address>
  e.g. deliver "Dr Livingstone <David@somewhere.africa>"

This provides a forwarding operation. The message is sent on to the given
address, exactly as happens if the address had appeared in a traditional
.forward file. To deliver a copy of the message to your normal mailbox,
your login name can be given. Once a message has been processed by the
filtering mechanism, it will not be so processed again, so doing this does
not cause a loop.

--
Brian
							   - unknown